Catch Me Before I Fall
- Artform(s):Visual arts, drama, film and dance
- Commissioner(s):Walsall Creative Development Team
- Funder(s):Communities for Health
- Venue(s):Various venues across the borough of Walsall, West Midlands
- Duration:16 months
- Health Need(s):Physical inactivity amongst communities of people with learning difficulties
Summary:Catch Me Before I Fall explored why young adults with a learning disability do not access mainstream leisure facilities and aimed to increase participation.
Project InformationCatch Me Before I Fall explored why young adults with a learning disability do not access mainstream leisure facilities and aimed to increase participation.
Based on consultation, the project
• developed an easy-read data base of leisure activities which should be accessible to local people with learning disabilities
• took a group of six young adults on a road trip around leisure facilities to make a documentary film
• toured the film and a movement/drama workshop to day centres around the borough to inspire and motivate people to access services
• worked with carers and activity providers to break down their barriers to access.
The whole project was designed and developed by artists working alongside our core group of six young adults. They participated in visual arts workshops, film workshops and dance/drama sessions to produce the project logo, film and tour. The slightly older participants were recipients of the tour, using movement and drama to explore new activities and share their experiences of accessing leisure services.